Thursday, August 2, 2007

Driven

2 Corinthians 10:3-5
We are human, but we don't wage war with human plans and methods. We use God's mighty weapons, not mere worldly weapons to knock down the devil's strongholds. With those weapons we break down every proud argument that keeps people from knowing God. With those weapons we conquer their rebellious ideas, and we teach them to obey Christ.

Today this verse reminded me that God brought us here to fight for the youth in this area. We are just your average people, but we have God’s weapons to bring us success. His weapons give us the power to break through to these youth and straighten up the twisted truths in their lives. (and in our own)

I have discovered over time that most of the twisted truths I have chosen to believe in end up creating a stronghold in my life. And we can’t swat at strongholds like measly flies because they are more like huge concrete walls built slowly over time. My guess is that most of the students have their own strongholds holding them back as well. Human effort is useless in demolishing strongholds.

We can be disciplined and determined. We can plan great games and great lessons. We can hang out with them and build awesome relationships. Yet, without God’s weapons we will never be able to break these strongholds and help these students become fully driven for Christ. The list above is a great help to begin chipping at the wall, but ultimately strongholds require divine demolition.

So, if you are wondering how you can pray for us this is my suggestion. Pray that we wouldn’t just be here planning and hanging out. Instead, that we would be calling on God for direction, power, and love in dealing with the youth. That we would be using His weapons instead of our own.

Here are some pics of the youth...mostly JH: (I'm working on my photography)


And Kyle getting attacked by two of the cutest boys ever:


******NOTICE: If you look over to the right...at the very top...you can subscribe to our blog via email! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really think you studied the wrong thing in college. You should have been a journalist of some kind. You write so well and such meaningful things that touch my heart. You definitely have a gift for communicating and I pray that God will bless you with that. I'm teaching SS this week and I'm seriously considering using either this blog or your one about The Table as my lesson because they touched me and I would like to share it with the girls too.
See, God is even using you in Texas even though you aren't here. :)
We love you guys and pray for you and your ministry. We certainly understand the good and the struggles that go along with it. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

hey, I forget I'm not on this thing and so you don't know who I am if I don't put my name. The above message is from you dear and loving cousin.
Laurie

Brooke said...

I must say those boys are absolutely adorable. Nothing like Kyle getting attacked by little ones :)