Monday, August 6, 2007

Twisted

My apologies to my husband, who encourages me to not make my posts too long. I promise I am trying.

LifePoint has begun a series called Twisted. It's how satan slightly twists the truth to mess with our head and ultimately lead us to sin. Let me clearly state my belief that as Christians we are sealed by the Holy Spirit and the enemy can't MAKE us do anything, so don't give him too much credit. He only leads us to do things. And there is a greater power, God, who leads us to do good things. It's our choice which lead we follow.

Anyway...last Sunday I begin to pray for God to reveal to me where the truth was being twisted in my life. So this post is to simply tell you about my own personal struggle and give an example of how the enemy can take something and slightly twist it so we hardly even notice that it is leading us to destruction.

I have been stressing out about a job and a house. We by no means are close to living on the street nor have I been shut out from all money-making opportunities. But my desire for a real teaching job and the opportunity to purchase a house has slowly been increasing.

This desire slowly started making me think things like, "I know God knows our needs, and He has totally been providing for those needs. And I know that I need to focus on Him and what He has brought us here for. But, shouldn't He be providing a middle school teaching job for me? Shouldn't He allow us to have that financial stability so we can buy a house?"

Then I made that prayer about twisted truths...

I started to think about being called to walk down the narrow road. The one that isn't always full of "comfort" but does contain peace and joy. God reminded me that when we left Plainview we knew we were giving up "ideal" jobs and immediate house-purchasing. And we were ok with that because we knew that God had a different, better plan for us. And it would be worth the sacrifice.

I started to evaluate our REAL needs. And the truth came pouring out. We have a roof over our head. We have an incredible family that has opened up their home so we can save money and give me an opportunity to make the best choices for my teaching future. We have meals cooked for us. We have people willing to put up with our dog. We have a church full of supportive people that are extremely excited we are here. People that have welcomed us and offered their services to us. That constantly ask & encourage & offer their prayers for my job situation and our settling in process. We have a youth group that already thinks we are cool and fun. (sort of) We live in a place where I do not have to question safety. That's providing.

That doesn't change the fact that we need to be responsible and do our part with our finances and my job search. But it doesn't need to consume my focus.

I am glad we don't have it all. I am content. The plans He has for our life are much bigger and better than we could ever dream up. He wants to bless us more than we can ever know. He is up to something. So we can let Him take care of that. We can change our focus to the here and now and how He wants to use us for His Kingdom.

1 Timothy 6:6
Yet true religion with contentment is great wealth.

The commentary with it: (because that is a deep statement for me!)
We should honor God and center our desires on Him and we should be content with what God is doing in our life.

(v 8,9)
So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content. But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin & destruction.

I pray you are blessed with the truth today.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Wow, I totally agree. Moving to Missouri has been a very "scary" thing in some ways. I left everything I knew behind to accept an awesome opportunity, but have made many sacrifices to do so. Yet, when I step back and see what all God has provided for me, I am simply amazed. It's awesome that you are only 2 hours away from me, and that he has led me to a place where there are so many people to take care of me :) I love you!