Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dad Day

This is sort of a repeat of a blog from May...but since Kyle and I can't spend Father's Day with our dads, we decided to dedicate a blog to them.

Kyle and I are blessed to have such incredible men that raised us and continue to be such a huge part of our life.

I remember in marriage counseling being told that we (humans) usually marry people that in some way remind us of our fathers/mothers and I was asked what about Kyle reminded me of my dad. I don't do good at answering questions on the spot, but I was searching for something deep...and all I could think of, and say, was: "They both have smart mouths." haha I still remember when we were driving around town one evening looking at Christmas lights or something (before gas was $4 a gallon)and asking my dad to drive by the house real quick so I could get a pillow. As soon as we turned on our street I swear he hit 60mph as we flew by our house. That is the kind of junk you get from him ALL the time...but I love it. Later in our counseling I went back to the question and talked about how level-headed my dad is. He never spouted off something without thinking fully through the situation. This quality made him an outstanding administrator. (athletic director) He always remains calm and makes logical decisions. Kyle and I greatly respect and admire my dad. I deeply value his opinion and always call on him for tough decisions. I know I can always expect my dad to support and love me no matter what I may be doing or going through. His love for Kyle, me and his family is unwavering and shown in so many ways.

Mike always has the same type of jokes, play on words, and smart comebacks like my dad, which makes him just as entertaining. He is the only person I know that knows so much about cars, yet has run out of gas in a new Tahoe TWICE. But, there is no question over Mike's love for his family. He would do absolutely anything for them. And there has never been a moment that I have been around him and not felt like I was 100% part of that family. I am so grateful that he treats me like his own. He, also, is a man that Kyle and I greatly respect and admire. His words and opinions weigh deeply on decisions we make. His willingness to fight for what is right has been shown time and time again. It wasn't but a year ago that he devoted hour after hour on the phone fighting to get us another wonderful cruise. (click here for insane cruise story) Again, we never have to doubt his love or support in our lives.

We know that being far away from you guys hasn't been easy on either end, but we are so grateful that you have allowed us to walk down the path God has called us to and cheered us on. Your support has been shown in various ways and words cannot describe how much it means to us. We love you both and can't wait to see you!

4 comments:

Paul said...

Awesome tribute! The kind of thing every dad wants to read about himself.

Anonymous said...

YOU 2 ARE THE BEST GIFT ANY FATHER COULD EVER ASK FOR. I MISS BOTH OF YOU AND LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN 2 WEEKS.

LOVE BOTH OF YOU,
DADDY MIKE

Brooke said...

I was going to write a Father's Day post, but didn't want to copy you....and I got side tracked cleaning my house and then had to come to wrestling camp...excuses, excuses I know...great post....I laughed out loud reading it :) Love you :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet thing and how blessed to have 2 wonderful dad's in a world where many don't have even 1 good dad.
You continue to make me laugh and get teary-eyed with your blogs and I'm know that doesn't suprise you, since I'm like Brooke and cry very easily. :)
I love you both very much and can't wait to see you!
Love,
Laurie