Thursday, September 11, 2008

Gold and Glasses

WOOHOOO!!!!! Check out the new gold medalist of the pentathlon and new world record holder.
Long Jump - 2nd w/ 6.4m
Discus - 1st w/ 52.3m
Shot Put - 1st w/ 14.4m
100m - 1st w/ 11.56s
400m - 1st w/ 56.39s



BEIJING, China - After falling just 16 points shy of the world record in the men's pentathlon (P44) at the Paralympic Trials in June, Jeremy Campbell (Chula Vista, Calif./Perryton, Texas) came to Beijing with a plan to break it once and for all. Tonight he succeeded - winning gold and setting a new world record with 4,662 points (4,447, previous WR).

"I've been working so hard and was nervous this morning," said an elated Campbell. "To say that I broke the world record at my first Paralympics - there aren't words to describe what I am feeling right now."



This was definitely a bright ray of sunlight on my crazy day today!! The glasses part is referring to the fact I had a bullying issue right after my class that resulted in a student having his glasses shattered and the arm of it sticking in the side of his head and a major amount of blood on the ground. Any day you have to call the ambulance to your class is NOT a good day. I'm definitely learning how to deal with emotions that I have never had to deal with. Being completely transparent...I cannot explain to you the anger I feel towards the student(s) responsible. I cannot explain to you the hurt that I feel for the victim. I cannot explain to you the picture I have stuck in my head of what I saw as I came back into the gym. But I know that God is good. He has me where I am for a reason. And I am learning huge lessons right now...especially in forgiveness and love. Even in the midst of everything I know God is taking care of me. He is our eternal Rock.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Awesome post about Jeremy..I might have to link to it. You handled the situation the best you could and everything will turn out ok, trust me! Love you!

Paul said...

Wow! What a day in the life of the P.E. teacher! Even though I wasn't witness, I share much of your indignation toward bullying and the devaluing of a human life that is the motivaion and result.