Saturday, September 13, 2008

Slavery

I am so excited for our new series "Hostage" at LifePoint. I'm almost certain it is going to go hand in hand with the devo book I'm reading, Breaking Free, by Beth Moore. Meanwhile, here are some thoughts that I've read recently from the book.

Galatians 5:1
So Christ has really set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.

God’s primary purpose is to set us free from eternal destruction. (to get us out of the danger zone) But saved people can still be in bondage. (not just explicit sins…but attitudes, past hurts, etc…Beth Moore defines bondage as anything that hinders the abundant and effective Spirit-filled life God planned for us) Christ is our Savior – One that keeps on saving.

At one time in my life I had a screwed up idea that since I was a “Christian”, I shouldn’t be struggling with temptations. I thought once you were saved it should disappear. Finally, thanks to the prompting of a guy named Douglas Runkels, I realized that it doesn’t just go away. Instead, we gain a relationship with the One that has supernatural power to help us overcome the temptations. And that DAILY I have to rely on His power.

Luke 9:23
Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me."

I remember one of my teachers in grade school teaching us about slavery. She told us that when the slaves were granted freedom that a lot of them stayed on the plantations and continued to do the same things because they had no idea what to do with their freedom. I remember thinking that was the stupidest thing I had ever heard. FIGURE IT OUT! Right? But how true is it in our world today? So many saved people stay in the same bondage because they don’t know what to do with the freedom. It’s a big, scary, unfamiliar world out there. But, if we will just step out and allow God to guide us…the benefits are indescribable.

Beth Moore describes 5 benefits we should be experiencing as children of God.
1. To know God and believe Him
2. To glorify God
3. To find satisfaction in God
4. To experience God's peace
5. To enjoy God's presence
Are you experiencing all the benefits? Or is there something (even small) still holding you captive?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

(martha talking) Great stuff! It sounds like that Beth Moore book is awesome. I didn't know you knew Runks! I hope your weekend is going better than your week. Hang in there and keep doing good stuff!