Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Daniel Fast

On January 31st Kyle & I completed a 21-day fast. (along with many other fellow LifePointers) We had decided to do the Daniel Fast - click for more info. It was one of the hardest & most rewarding things we have every done. Here are a few things that I learned through the process:

1 - My life is radically better when I depend fully on God in all areas - big & small.
2 - Eating out and caffeine had a much larger grip on my life than I realized.
3 - The power of fellowship with Jesus & him being my "one thing". (I've been reading "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" and it discusses when Jesus tells Martha that she is worried about many things but there is only "one thing" needed - fellowship with Jesus - Luke 10:41)
4 - God desires for me to have a much simpler life. (this ties in greatly with #3)
5 - I've had a greater sensitivity to God & His desires for my life and things I need to work on.
6 - I am so incredibly blessed.
7 - God is in control. The bigger the problem, the greater the chance for Him to be glorified.
8 - I have been more attuned to the waging war within me. (Romans 7:18-20)
For example: During the fast I was seeking God with a greater intent & making healthier eating choices all in one. Our lives were blessed spiritually, physically, and financially. I'm hearing the battle of, "You can just stop & grab something quick on your way home so you can have more time to clean" and "It won't take that long to just fix something good & healthy...you will save money...and you can clean what you can...it's not going anywhere." Of course, this is just one example...I'm hearing it all throughout my day in all sorts of crazy situations!
9 - and finally....beans definitely live up to their reputation when eaten daily!!!

Read the below post to learn more on the purpose of fasting. (or click here)

No comments: