Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Joy of Teaching in our Society Today

Look at me writing twice in one week!!

So...I told you about the HS having two bomb threats. Well yesterday at lunch one of the teachers asked why all the administrators were here this morning. Another teacher replied with, "well there was sort of a bomb threat here...but it was nothing." I'm not sure what a "sort of" bomb threat is but I sort of just blew it off and assumed we were ok or they would have evacuated.

This morning I get to my classroom and we get a classroom set of newspapers MWF, so I had my stack outside the door. I noticed the front page headline said "Two accused of bomb threat" so I thought I'd check it out and see who they caught from the HS. This is what the article says:

"A bomb threat phoned into Alton Middle School on Tuesday morning was investigated and eventually discounted, police said. Though staff members searched all the bathrooms at the school at 2200 College Avenue, no such bomb was found. School began without incident."

HELLO!!! How did I only hear this was "sort of" a bomb threat?? Our school has 3 separate buildings...and it was called into our building to the office just above us. Oh well...I guess less for me to worry about. I'm still alive.

Anyway...apparently it was "a young male voice"...unfortunately he forgot that the school has caller ID or phone calls can be easily traced. I believe they have narrowed it down. It says they counted it as a hoax. (I guess because of what has been going on at the HS...they figure they needed a day off too) The 2 girls caught at the HS said their motive was just that..."get a day off of school." I'm sure they will have many now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, I'm just now catching up on your blogs. Congrats on the teaching job! I'm very excited for you and knew that prayers would be answered in that direction. I will continue to pray for your success (and Kevin's) as you experience "first year teacher" anxiety! Believe me, it will fly by and you'll look back and wonder where the time went. This year's group is pretty good...and brighter than last year's. Guess I'd better get ready for the day. Have a great weekend!
Linda Hall

Unknown said...

We don't have bomb threats at MCS...you should come here! haha!

Brooke said...

Ok so that is CRAZINESS. Welcome to the world of teaching. I still remember when there were bomb threats in Breckenridge when we were in elementary. Glad to hear nothing happened though. I am home the weekend of the 29th, you should come visit if you can :) I would love to come visit, but I will have to see how things work out.