Saturday, April 26, 2008

Jesus, Life Coach

My dad bought me a devo book called this (Jesus, Life Coach) for Christmas a few years ago. This week I've been thinking about how true that title is.

He isn't a coach that is negative & yells all the time.
He isn't a coach that believes we are just out there to have fun.
He is a coach that encourages, gives positive feedback, and provides us with constructive criticism. This helps us to not only become better people, but to have fun along the way as well.

I experienced God's coaching in a tremendous way this week. Champions never have an easy path to their victory. It requires hard work, commitment, and determination. But, in the end it is always worth it. The path to becoming a champion is much easier if you have a coach pushing you to your max, yet encouraging & giving you confidence along the way.

This week was one of those weeks that God encouraged me that Kyle and I are on the right track, but His challenge was still obvious.

Genesis 12:1
Then the Lord told Abram, "Leave your country, your relatives, and your father's house, and go to the land that I will show you."

Check: we have done this. We have left everything familiar to go where we felt God was calling us to go. If you back track a little you see the story of Abram's father, Terah. Terah had been called by God to go exactly where he was calling Abram to go now. But, here is Terah's story:

Genesis 11:31-32
"Terah took his family and left Ur to go to the land of Canaan. But they stopped instead at the village of Haran and settled there. Terah lived for 205 years and died while still at Haran."

Challenge: Don't settle. We are on the track, we are doing good stuff, but the great stuff is our goal. If we choose to stop, and settle for less than God's best, we will die. Maybe not physically, but emotionally and spiritually.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I would say that is going "ALL IN"! And LifePoint is blessed in a huge way because you and Kyle took that huge step of faith and came here. When Kyle was in our youth group, we could see his potential. Bob and I used to say that we wanted DJ to grow up to be a "kyle". Now, what an honor it is to have Kyle (and his amazing wife) to be DJ's youth pastor! We love you guys and know you are on the right path!

Doug said...

Well said. The part that stinks is sometimes the road to Canaan (great stuff) is rough. I'm betting my life that the journey is worth it! I'm so glad you and Kyle have put on your hiking sandals and are traveling the path to great stuff! We walk together!

jodi said...

Hopefully you both know how blessed we all feel that you're here. You are awesome people and the positive impact you're having on our kids is amazing and very much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I'm going to say that I'm glad you are there like the other people have, because your family SURE DOES MISS YOU ALOT!!!! I do have to say that I'm glad you were willing to follow God where He lead you and we just pray that someday He will lead you back to His country here in Texas. :)
I still think you should be a writer someday. You truly have a knack for putting things down where it truly reaches people and makes them understand.
Love you and can't wait to see you!
Your cuz,
Laurie