Saturday, April 5, 2008

Pulling Weeds

I used to say that I never wanted to be important, famous, rich, or great. They are the people always kidnapped, killed, or targeted.

As I have gone along my journey with Christ I realize that He hasn't called us to play it safe or be comfortable. But, He has promised us strength, protection, and companionship for the journey.

This a truth that keeps confronting me and has fired up a passion in me to find this freedom. Problem: I get fired up for a few days and then fall back into mediocracy.

In January we did a poker-parallel series called "All In". One of Bob's messages was specifically titled "Playing It Safe Is Risky". Bob challenged us to ask ourselves what in our lives were keeping us from going all in. That was one of those confrontational times for me. As I searched myself to figure out what my hold-back was, I felt a book calling my name. Breaking Free by Beth Moore is a book I previously read and loved dearly. Problem: I didn't let it penetrate into my entire life. I decided that if I truly wanted to go all-in, I had to truly break free from all the lies and bondage in my path. This book is a great tool to help me. I've been filling my life for way too long with good stuff instead of great, life-changing stuff. Luckily, God never stops pursuing me.

Last Sunday we started a series called Stuck. Again that fire was lighted. Bob has a strong conviction to get through to us that God really wants to use us to change the world. His 4 main points last Sunday were:
1. God's pursuit is bigger than our circumstances.
2. God's plan is bigger than my imagination.
3. God's power is bigger than my excuses.
4. God's promise is bigger than my problem.


So, I had to write this today to put some accountability out there. If I stay silent I'll fall right back into mediocracy. I know for me to change the world I've got to be proactive at getting my poop in a group. (special thanks to Chad Imboden for my new favorite phrase) I plan to share some of my journey with all of you and would appreciate any input along the way. (or chewing out if I start to slack)

If you are actually still reading you are asking, Why is the title Pulling Weeds? Well, since I am working on pulling the weeds in my life to change the world, I don't have time to pull the weeds in my yard to change my curb apeal. I am accepting volunteers! You have your own life weeds that need pulling? Well, come start with a baby step...a hands-on example. Then take a bigger step into your life.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

So this comment is going to seem like I totally missed the whole point of your blog, which I didn't, but I think you should have skipped pulling the weeds in your front yard and come to see me this weekend. I know you really wanted to, but Kyle's obligations didn't allow you to :( Heck you could have even seen Rebel & the Cowboys beat my beloved Tigers. And a side note, I am embarrassed by our loss to Tech and I think they are too. I'm not exactly thrilled about todays loss either. Love you loads!

Doug said...

I love your willingness to be vulnerable and accountable for the sake of making the name of Jesus great. You positively impact people more than you know!

Unknown said...

Um.....if the weeds are there in July I'll help pull them. But I'm not sure if I'll let you in my world to start pulling weeds there.
Dang........i miss ya!
Can't wait to see ya!