Monday, June 7, 2010

Texan Talk

I have been made fun of more this year for my Texas talk than any other year! Even though many people here use "y'all", I apparently use it "different" than others. I still get told I say "hill" and "male" funny...but the 2 new ones for this year are "field" and "goal". Apparently I say "field" more like "feld". And apparently you are supposed to say (in basketball instructions) "go shoot at that hoop" not "goal".

One of the first things Kyle and I noticed was that everyone here always puts the emphasis on the 2nd word in 2 word things...like in Six Flags and Taco Bell. In Texas we. For the first time, one of our youth noticed and made fun of Kyle for emphasizing the first word. Crazy how different we can be!

Next weekend I am going to Texas and I will be made fun of for talking like a northerner...and adapting words like "soda" and "salsa" and "you guys"! Everyone will also notice how I say my O's different, like in "stop", and think St Louis has corrupted me. I don't know where that came from...its more a Wisconsin thing...and I even get made fun of here for that lingo! (and I was told in college I sounded like I was from WI - and I was all Texan then!)

There is no point in this blog really. It doesn't bother me a bit, I actually like when people from either side bring it up & tell me it sounds funny b/c I think it's such an interesting thing that people can talk so different in regions that aren't really that far from each other...and I'm like a mutt - I can be labeled so many different things! :) So there is your random, pointless blog post for the day.

1 comment:

Paul said...

The common thread here is that you just talk funny. Don't worry about it and let your freak flag fly!